And if the person know me better, he or she will know that I have a few different ones..
and I just feel like sharing what each of them means to me haha..
Previously, I had one that is a guitar designed, which just happened to be my lucky charm which I wear when I needed some... luck? (okay.. i know.. superstitious) but it rusted and I guess it didn't mean as much as it was to me that these 3.
Anyway, as of now, I actually have 3 different charms and all 3 means different thing to me. If you know me, you should know how they look and I guess I don't have to show it to you ;)
Here goes!
1. Mockingjay charm
This was a gift to me from 2 very good friends of my (Jean and Nana :D) few years back in... 2013? I still remembered it was my first few days of degree life and I was unhappy, and unable to cope with degree life. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep and I kept crying. Didn't tell anybody about it because I thought I could get my shit together.
But one random day, these 2 fellas decided to give me a 5-months early birthday present and it was this Mockingjay charm that I wanted for a long timeeeeeee because I am a huge Hunger Game fans. I said I wouldn't wear it until it was my actual birthday since it was a birthday gift anyway but because of this little gift (which I was already aware of the content),it made me smile again and I found the strength to cope and here I am, already finished with my degree too.
To me, it represents courage and strength. Whenever I feel I need a little courage to face something, I will wear this one.
2. Anchor charm
This anchor charm, I bought 2 different design of the anchor for one of my bestfriend, Shye Wei's 20th birthday. I still remember sending to her via PosLaju and was so worried she wouldn't receive it.
eventually she did and to me. The reason I chose the anchor design was because.. I always remember her telling me that a charm is not just for the sake of the design, it must be meaningful to the person wearing it, only then it would mean something.
So, I chose anchor charm because it represents our friendship. We've been through a lot but just like an anchor, despite the storm, it keeps a ship steady. That's what it means to me. Friendship. A strong one.
Ever since, whenever I feel I need a little friendship or when I need to believe in my friendship or when I am going to do something with my friends, especially if they are a bunch that is important to me, I would wear this one.
3. Bicycle charm
I bought this charm when I was on holidays in Cebu Island, Philippines last year, it was sort of my 21st birthday gift from my parents to me. Best.present.ever!
It was after my very adventurous adventure at Cebu Island! Think I've never shared my adventure before so here goes!
Note: This is only the highlight of my trip, not my entire trip. There is also a TLDR note, so scroll all the way down if you don't feel like reading about my adventure or think it's too long!
On the second day I was at Cebu, early in the morning, we took quite a drive in the van to a place called Oslob Whale Shark Watching Centre (in Oslob) to see whale sharks! We went on a little boat/sampan with bamboo tied on the side (for us to hang onto when we get into the water to see the whale sharks). The waves were a little crazy and my dad advised us not to go into the water to see because even when we know how to swim, we need quite some strength to hold onto the bamboo at the sides.
So, after the guides rowed the boats in a formation (with other groups of people), they started feeding the whale sharks with (I believe either jelly fish eggs or just fish eggs) and the whale sharks started coming closer and closer to our boats.
Eventually we got off one by one, my uncle (who got off the wrong side and got tired after trying to swim to the right side and got back up the boat), my dad, my cousin sis, my bro and I. The waves were strong, we had to hang on tight and at the same time, look down into the waters when the sharks got nearer with our snorkel goggles. It was scary because the whale sharks (eventhough are tame creatures) were SO big and I am.. just so small. *derp* We were not supposed to touch it because they are "protected animals" so with them swimming closer to us, I think I didn't have to worry about me touching them but rather I am more worried about them touching me and getting me into trouble!
Some of the whale sharks even swam RIGHT BELOW us and it was SO SO SO SO scary that I looked up immediately and wanted to get back into the boat already hahaahaha. Interesting adventure but apparently, the guide said the really HUGE ones only appear at night but those are only for experts because the waves are so strong, any normal person would come back puking their guts out.
Then we proceeded to Kawasan Falls where I went for an activity called the canyoneering. It involves hiking, climbing and the best of the best, cliff diving.Think I've never shared my experience about my canyoneering experience before, it was my favorite experience and memory of this trip, so here we go!
Canyoneering... There were a total of 12 of us who went (my family, my cousin's family, my aunt and uncle) and we all thought Canyoneering was just cliff diving, like jump off once and we're done. Having already paid for it (it was included in the tour package) and my uncle who was extremely impatient for things that he couldn't do and yet very patient for things he want to do. So, I was rebellious and used that guts to say I want to jump.
My justification: "We're already here, we paid for it, why not?"
And because of my 'guai-lan'-ness, my mother allowed the 3 of us (my bro, my cousin sis and i) to go.
Because it's just 1 jump right? WRONG. SO WRONG. It was a 2 hours hike in the jungle which started off with a 20-30minutes ride on a high-speed motorbike from the foot of the hill. We had to ride a bike with 3 person on 1 bike and being misled to believe that canyoneering was literally just cliff diving, we wore swimsuits with a helmet, and life jacket and some hiking boots that they borrowed us.
![]() | |||
| Does this explain what we were wearing? Haha From left Jimmy (our guide), my bro, myself and my cousin |
So when we reached the starting point of the adventure they made us sign another manifest and when I saw the first challenge, I know I was not going to forget this.
The first challenge of canyoneering was already jumping off a cliff! Woohoo! So that means, it was a do or die situation. Because there was no turning back after the long thrilling bike ride and obviously, once you jump, there was no climbing back up. Hmm, I guess that was about 1 storey high for the first one?
My brother was the first to jump because he was "the guy" and my cousin sis went second and I went the last. Our guide Jimmy went after me, I guess he just wanted to make sure each and every one of us jump. And incase we don't, he push. Nuff' said.
The first jump was exhilirating, I counted in my own head... 1... 2... 3!!!! and I jumped! The moment I hit the water, I swam back up, shouted in excitement and laughed a lot. I can't believe I did that!
Quick Tip: If you want to count 1,2,3 before you jump. Don't think after you count, just jump. The more you think, the more scared you become. So, really, don't think! JUST DO IT!
Okay, then, remember we thought it was just 1 jump? Yeah, it wasn't the end because we kept swimming and swimming and walking and hiking to... another cliff! I think we eventually jumped 4 cliffs, and slid off 2 slippery rocks where we had to lie flat, hands on chest and hold your nose and the guide just push us off the rocks and fall into the water. The rest was walking, navigating through the jungles, the rivers, the rocks, climbing up and down.
One of the cliffs, we had to do a running jump, though it was a short one. It was scary because I slipped off and if you can imagine someone falling because of a banana peel? Yeah, I slipped and fell into the water like that haha. While waiting for my brother and cousin to jump because Jimmy jumped first to show us how to do a running jump, held on to my life to a rock with my fingers because the current was just SO strong. Even with my legs I tried to swim to steady myself, it was tiring.
Oh, and during one of the hikes over a rock, we were swimming and suddenly the water so strong and even though I knew how to swim, I just couldn't fight with currents and almost (just almost) got washed away into one of the falls because the water current was too strong and if the guide (of another group) was not there, to block the way with his legs... maybe.. just maybe I could have been washed away and fell off the super high waterfalls (probably 3 and half storey high?) with my head first into the rocky bottoms, hit somewhere important and... died. Thank God the other guide was there.
It was indeed a long long adventure, we hiked for almost 2.5 hours and we didn't even realised it. The 3 of us even thought that we were kidnapped in the jungles to be sold! We didn't bring any water because we thought it was just one jump so trust me, this was a grueling adventure but inherently, if u jump off a cliff, drinking the waterfall water is perfectly normal. The water was cold and actually taste SWEET. It's the refreshing kind of sweet it was just so natural! Amazing!
Inside the jungles, it was really beautiful. Though I wasn't wearing my spectacles but when I squint my eyes, I could see how beautiful it was. It was serene, peaceful. Too bad we didn't have a waterproof camera. Really, it's just too bad. The water was so blue and clear but yet you can't see the bottom, which of course, has to be so or else, there's no way you're going to survive jumping off a cliff that high.
Out of the 4 jumps, the last one was the most challenging one because it was the tallest one, it was about 2 and a half storey high? I really can't estimate, it was just taller (and MUCH higher when you look from up above!). My brother was the first to jump and before he 'bounced' off the cliff (to jump), he slipped and fell into another step below. Jimmy held onto him, tried to pulled him back up and eventually just let go of his jacket and made him jump. Then, this time I was the second to jump and I did after the count of 3. FYI, at that height, when you hit the water, your butt will hurt! I wanted to shout 'HOORAY' when I jump but guess what, when you really jump, the only thing that comes out is 'AHHHHHHHHH!' *chuckles*
For the last cliff, the last one to jump was my cousin sis who couldn't even jump after counting 1 2 3, eventually.. yeah.. Jimmy pushed her down! LOL! And we were already very tired after that. When we hear sounds of people talking, we kept hoping that we found our family because we were so tired and thirsty (mostly tired) but voices after voices, it just wasn't. Mentally, it was tiring. Thank God I went with my brother and my cousin sister. Imagine if they hadn't took up the challenge.
But I guess, this perfect adventure, could only be remembered by the 3 of us. It was bonding like never before because in those situation, in a foreign land, you only have each other. Whatever happened, will definitely be in our head for a long long time. :')
Well, some of you have wondered where I found the courage to jump. It was during my assignment time and I joked that when I think about my assignments, I just jump. I'm just kidding. Sometimes, you don't find the courage. The courage finds you. But knowing how to swim actually helps to cope with the fear better because I know no matter what, I could save myself by swimming. The equipment, the shoes, life jacket and helmet, eventhough seems plastic made me feel safer too. It helped me float in the waters. The hiking shoes they borrowed to us? Definitely needed it because the stones were so rocky that my knees and ankles had small scratches.
If we had a chance to do more of these, I'll wear something better!
If given a choice whether I would do it again, I definitely would! An adventure worth trying!
Because of that adventure, when I was choosing the souvenirs for my friends on the next day, I saw it among the many other designs and thought maybe I should get one home because it was so cheap (RM20 after converting) and also as a memory of the great adventure that I had. Totally worth it.
TL;DR: I bought this charm after a great adventure in Phillipines and the bicycle signified the freedom and adventure. So, when I'm feeling a little adventurous, you'd know ;)
If you noticed, you would know that I have the habit of rubbing my charms whenever I wear them. I guess sometimes when I forget, and I touch it, I will be reminded of why I wore that charm that day.
So, that's that, see, now you know me a little more about me already.
Cheers,
Chi Yan
"Adventure is out there!" - Ellie, Up

No comments:
Post a Comment