I may or may not have mentioned in my previous post, but last Monday (9/5/16) was my last day of working at the cafe place and it's been a good (not exactly) long 7 months.
Some frequent FAQs:
1. What have you learned?
Honestly, you've missed nothing important not working in this industry. But having not tried to work at all, maybe this is an opportunity to see the kind of people that shares the planet with you.
2. So, you can make me a cup of coffee now?
Unfortunately, no. I wasn't taught so. Maybe I'll explain why later on.
3. How's the experience?
It started off well but I guess it didn't turn out well at the end of the day. I was supposed to keep on working until I eventually find a full-time job after finishing all my papers but I took off earlier because I just couldn't bear it anymore.
Been doing an asshole thing (like going to work late - about 15mins late) for the past few shifts
But today, my last day, I was 30 minutes late. On purpose.
You must be wondering: '30minutes WTF? WHY?!'
Just FYI, I am normally not late to work or any other occasion because I personally hate being late. But in this case, it's because I am unhappy about work, so I go to work late as a protest. Technically, they can't "fire" me at a time like this when they are desperately in need of new people and need someone with a little more experience to guide the others. So, it was sort of an 'immunity' card for me and yes, I will shamelessly admit that I abused it.
Then you wonder, 'Walao... Then? Won't you get any warning or something?'
In fact, yes I do. We're given a grace period of 10minutes (meaning, sometimes, being late for 10minuets is forgivable) and anything more than that, they will penalize/cut it off from your salary. So, I get paid for what I do. If I'm late, then I get paid less.
'So why do you still do it? You crazy?'
Like I said it's a protest. Just wanted to prove that even if there is 'penalty' for being late, I still do it because I hate it that much. I really don't care what happen, I just wanted to show that I hated my job.
Immature? I won't disagree. Call it whatever you want, I did it and I'm oblivious to the circumstances.
So...yeah.. being a communication student, and having done the 'communication law' subject, I'll try to make this as.. less prone to defamation as possible.
Warning: Very honest opinions and various complaints ahead.
Writing this down so that one day I remember how a bad experience this was and should be thankful when I found a better job.
Okay, I actually started work last year end of September 2015 after completing internship. I didn't join back my previous part-time because management change, I was 'rusty' and I wanted to try something else.
At the beginning, about the first 2 weeks into work..
1. Alienation
In the first 2 weeks, I started by speaking English to them because that is my somewhat native language. And they gave me weird looks and basically, they can chat among themselves and when I try to mix in, it was difficult. I was being alienated.
So, I started speaking mandarin and things were going fine. But still, most of them are church members so they are really close with each other. So, sometimes, they already have their clique and somehow, since I am not part of their members, I couldnt get myself into that clique, but that really doesn't matter because I wouldn't click with the clique anyway.
Somehow or rather, yes, I am a lone ranger but that doesn't mean I don't talk I just happen to be able to talk to everybody but not on the level of being close friends, just enough to keep each other entertained throughout the shifts.
2. The Blame Game
So, during my first 2 weeks there, being a newbie, of course there were a lot of things that I don't know. But somehow, that's the very reason why some people like playing the blame game and putting the fault at the hands of newbie so that they can wash their hands clean.
'Aiyo, this one also you don't know meh?'
'Must be chi yan who did this'
'Must be chi yan who forgot to wipe the honey bottle'
'Must be chi yan who forgot to clean that table'
and list goes on.
Ya "must be" -.-
Mind you, I don't think I am so careless all the times. Also, when I'm wrong, I admit my fault and I apologize but when I didn't do anything wrong, don't ever do that. Constantly getting scolded because of all those small things that I haven't learned. Seriously. It was only 2 weeks then I already wanted to quit then. I told myself I will quit at the end of the month (October).
Off-topic: Isn't that about team work? even if I did miss anything, shouldn't anyone be guiding me than putting the blame on a newbie?
Eventually I didn't quit and held on because I got used to it and figured how to stop getting scolded for no reason/small things. Oh really, sometimes, there are people in this world who are easy to handle, you just have to suck up to them, in cantonese 'chat hai' (brush their shoes), and it's done! Pfft. Disgusting (but still needs to be done).
Off-topic: I honestly HATE sucking up but people adapt to survive. Who do they honestly think they are.
3. When 'part time' isnt 'part time'
Semester start then in October and I was beginning my busy schedule again. Couldn't work 6 days in a week because of class and only resorted to Saturdays and Sundays. I tried working on Mondays when I have morning classes but eventually gave up because it was my final year project and I was really busy with the constant meetings and stuff to do.
Occasionally, I also need to spare my weekends for my uni stuff and unfortunately, I have to work. It's not like my previous part time where... I have the flexibility (which is how part time should have been), a part time job just isn't supposed to 'block' my schedule and often I have to sacrifice time/sleep for my uni stuff because I usually work 3pm-12am on weekends.
Then, I started requesting for morning shifts only on Sundays because I have classes/meetings on Monday mornings and so I did and eventually, it was more bearable.
But yes, the schedules are made 2 weeks in advance and it removes so much of my flexibility. Sometimes, I just need a break and I can't get it because there was no one to replace me and I just have to work it out myself, aggregated stress for me.
4. What promise?
I've once asked them when I could learn how to make coffee. Well, I was told that after 4 months, if they think I am familiar with the coffee and everything else, they will let me learn. Apparently, I was, that's why they like me to work when there is private functions where the customers always needs a little more attention to. Or idk, it could just be a honey pot because they desperately need people to work on those days.
4 months passed, I asked and requested, they said ok to teach me but it was just.. mere words.
They didn't mean what they say. To me, it was like.. they broke their promise. Okay, not them, just specific people. And I hate it when people break promises. I know, this wasn't written in any black or white but still, it's a matter of principle, I could have done the same last week when I only verbally promised to help out but I kept my promise.
But their point was, because I don't work as often as the others (others work say... 4-5days a week and I only work 2 days a week), they didn't felt it was "worth it" to teach me. So its like, I'm not worth their investment in time. Maybe I don't understand why because I was working long-term on weekends and I didn't see the harm in teaching me.
Point it, I guess some people just don't take promises so seriously or it's just made for the sake of making it and luring people to stay more than 4 months. (Mind you, some people join this kind of part time only because they want to learn to make coffee, for me, it was the part and parcel of working in a cafe, but you know.. I'm only asking to learn not for a pay raise -.-)
Oh yes, I took 2-3 weeks off during the busiest time of my uni life and guess what happened in those 2-3 weeks, a few of the new staff who barely worked for 4 months got to learn how to make coffee. So, when I was assigned on shift with one of them, I asked them how long they have learned and one of them said he only learned it for about 2 weeks. Wow. 2 weeks and they are alone handling a shift with me (a person who doesn't know how to make coffee) without any senior barista around.
Do you see? If it's something that can be taught within 2 weeks (I assume they work 5 days a week) that would take about 10 days to learn, so, is that a long time? You can become a barista in 10 days (or less than that). Ok lemme make the calculations, eventhough they work 5 days a week, still there is only a maximum of 9 hours per shift, sometimes 5 hours or 8 hours. I work 8-9hours per shift on weekends too. I still do not see what's wrong. Face problem I guess.
But then again, the new baristas, they are only earning RM5 per hour (no matter what hour they work). Reason, they haven't worked more than 3 months yet eventhough they already have the skills and (in my opinion) they are already worth more than that. Initially I was only earning about RM5/hour (any shifts before 6pm) and RM6/hour (any shifts after 6pm). So... during January 2016, they decided to raise to RM6/hour for any shifts I work. I guess it was a move to try to make me stay for a longer term.
Not entirely dissatisfied in this area because I'm thankful that because of that raise, I was also able to sustain my own transport and food for uni. But I guess after sharing my salary, the new barista might be unhappy about it. Sorry!
5. You don't understand
Few things differing with my own principles and theirs (which cause general conflicts and general anger from me). Maybe I was taught so during my MBL days whereby we put customers first. So, that's what I did and sometimes I guess they just don't understand why I do what I do.
i. Hygiene issue
Like... I really want the juicer very very clean. Everytime I spend about 15-20mins (when there's no customer) to scrub and clean the juicer until it sparkles (the blade especially), they will just give me a look and say things like 'only chi yan will do this'. As though I was stupid to do so.
The milk pitcher, they wash it with clear water. In my knowledge, milk has oil/fat contents and if you don't wash it properly, it will stain the pitcher and the more you keep, the more unhygienic it is. If it's me, I will wash it with soap and the rest, they just don't.
And the ketchup/chilli sauce bottles? Always dripping with excess sauce. Results? Ants everywhere. Don't wanna clean it because don't wanna waste the tissue? Bullshit.
I know, maybe by doing those things mentioned above, it could save cost and what I'm doing it completely the opposite but I didn't think this was something to save on. Hygiene... one of the top priorities of F&B industry no? Try putting yourself in customers shoes... do you want the service crew to make juice with a juicer that is stained with residue of all the previous blends? do you want the barista to make your coffee with a milk-stained pitcher? do you want sauce out of a bottle that has sauces that was exposed hanging outside the bottle? You pay what you deserve, so, of course not.
Off topic: During my 2nd last shift, a customer ordered a Rose Tea, because of that, we have to use a different teapot and this teapot, is not something used very frequently. So, we didn't check but guess what, when the customer poured her tea, there was a dead cockroach in the teapot and it poured out with the tea into the customer's cup. The dead cockroach was about 3-4cm (excluding the antenna) and it was fat. Surprisingly, the customer only asked us to change a new one. Haha. No refund was made in the process. All I could do was just apologize on their behalf and made sure the new one doesn't have anything "extra".
Off topic 2: Also during the 2nd last shift, a customer came back with her tea cup (that was supposedly a 'clean' cup) which has pink lipstick stains on it. Obviously, someone else didn't wash it clean enough previously. So, during that entire shift, I said to leave ALL the cups to me, I'll handle it. And so I did until my shift ended.
Disgusted yet? Ya, talk about hygiene with me man. I am proud to say because of my "OCD" and "perfectionism", I am probably the only one who tries to keep everything as clean as possible.
ii. Different principles
When I squeeze lemons, or make lemon slices, I make sure to remove all the seeds because people are paying RM8-9 for that cup of Lipton tea with sugar and lemon juice. I didn't know anyone on this earth would like to drink a cup of Iced lemon tea with seeds so I make the effort to remove em' and serve what the customers are paying for. Same as peeling the carrots for carrot juice, I make sure I peel off the outer skin VERY clean because... dirty carrot skin means dirt. Yes, like mud kind of dirt. Is it difficult to understand why I'm so particular for this one?
Teaching newbies is also a thing, some of them teach newbies in a 'Aiyo, this one also you don't know meh' tone. Even to me sometimes when I ask them something. Of course I don't know, that's why I ask you -.- Sometimes, people are just not humble. I supposed, everyone working in that cafe right now, was all once a noob and doesn't know everything. So, why do you have to treat other people so? Maybe to you, you think that it was something that we were supposed to know, but guess what, sometimes, maybe we just don't.
Even how they run the business, because of sales, sometimes, even when the ingredients is only enough to make say.... 1 and a half set of food, they will still sell 2 by spreading thin and serving 75% of the full amount to sell 2 at the same price. Ya you think it's smart, for me, it's unethical.
Just differing principles I guess.. Maybe if I run the business, the shop will close down in awhile because of my beliefs but I don't know.. I just don't know..
iii. Incentives
No double pay on public holidays, no such thing as extra off-days too.
You part time, you holiday, you no pay. That's the deal. So, no holiday k?
Oh and the salary difference I mentioned above?
Nuff' said.
iv. Responsibilities
Don't mean to complain, part of my job too but I hate it when the boss father comes here to create a mess, drinks some hard liquor and leave all the cups for us to wash. Using your son's employees to clean up your mess, not bad. *Judging the uncle, not the job*
v. Lack of discipline
But it is also because of that uncle that this happens, sometimes. So the policy is, the store closes at 11.30pm, we are supposed to stop serving anything from 11.15pm onwards. Sometimes, customers will come at 11.25pm and because of this uncle who is a salesman and is very keen on sales will ask us to serve. (Occasionally, pissing me off and making me very very quiet from that moment onwards until I go home because I didn't want to say anything nasty, which I was very likely to do so)
Not sure if it's my math problem but according to my calculations, this last minute customers (usually comes in pair) is not worth serving after the closing time because normally, we would have started cleaning up at 11.15pm and when these few last customers, we would have nothing to do because we've done everything else and waiting for these last minutes to leave so that we could clear the tables and wash the cups.. So ok.. you see..
There are only 2 of them, usually ordering only 2 drinks and at most with 1 cake because kitchen closed. So that could cost approx. RM20-25 in total.
If they sit for 30 minutes, that means we would close at 12am, for 30 minutes, 3 service crew, that would cost you RM3 per 30mins, so RM9, what about the aircond and electricity on to serve these 2? I mean, you can bet on them to only stay for 30 minutes?
And that's only 30 minutes, what if they stay for an hour? or more? And we're just sitting there and waiting. That's at least RM18 gone for 3 service crew waiting on a customer who is spending only RM20-25.
Well, go figure.
You know, customers won't be angry at you if you just told them you are closed because the signs outside said we close at 11.30pm. There really is no harm in that, so what if you just make 2 customers very happy that you serve them beyond the working hours?
So, I tried telling them and the next thing you know, the next time these customers came. After we done cleaning and just chilling to wait for these last minutes customers, we have to punch our cards. So, that's like not getting paid for the job that we have to do after the last minute customers leave.
Wrong wrong wrong. That is not fair for the employees at all! Maybe they think the staff are not so calculative because everyone has been 'working for so long'. If I'm your close friend or relative, maybe I won't be so calculative, but just so you know, I am nobody. I am calculative and I want what I work for.
But what can I do? Work is work. Unhappy for doing unpaid job of course.
So yeah, I really hated my job. Thank goodness I am free from it all now. Sometimes it's the very things that people do to drive people up a wall, that makes people climb up the wall and do asshole-y things. It is true that what I did was wrong but I guess I just didn't know where to express my dissatisfaction anymore. As stubborn as this sounds, I don't regret what I did. Somehow, eventhough I was late, for every minute I was late, I still OT to pay it back. Why? because I just wasn't cruel enough.
I guess I tried several time to be evil and late but I just couldn't. The only day I actually reach late and went home early because boss sis said that it was going to rain and she know I was walking home, she didn't want me to get rained on. So, she let me go. That means, even if I left early, it was with permission.
Like I told them, I chose to work, this was my choice. Now, I'm making the choice to end this. They supposedly still need someone experienced somewhere at the end of the month, they tried asking me to stay but I just asked to be.. let go. So, that's that and im done.In the end, I still left with a smile and left on good terms. I left them a message at the back of my punch card telling them to 'Under promise and over deliver' because they will be able to do amazing things if they do so.
I guess I just want them to only make promises that they can keep because that's what mainly made me unhappy. Even to customers, do not oversell your products, it only disappoints customers that way. Well, I don't know if they'll understand my message or consider it an insult but the message was not left with bad intention. That's all I could say about that. I hope they can understand.
But of course, not everything is bad... Still have some good things that kept me hanging on:
1. Super near
The place is super near to my house and only few minutes walk which was really convenient for me.
2. Silver lining
Despite all these things that made me unhappy, partially because of the boss sis, she was the silver lining of my unpleasant experience here. She is nice, understanding, friendly and welcoming. I don't know what to say cause I know she'll never see this post but I guess I just wanted to say Thank You to her for being so understanding and actually listening to me when I needed somebody to hear me out.
I had a long chat with a friend about this (the whole ordeal) just now. Guess I figure a lot of things when I actually say it out. Sometimes, maybe I'm the stupid one who cared too much. After all, it is indeed JUST a part-time job. I look too high on myself and I think I gave too much for this job. I guess I took it too seriously, that's why it made me so unhappy.
Till then, I guess I need to find myself a leader who will appreciate the things I do. Even though it will take awhile to find but I guess when I find him or her, it will be worth it. Here's to wishing all of my friends and buddy who will taking on the working world very very soon, I wish you guys all the best in finding a job where you love what you do and the people (and the boss) that you do it with :)
Yours truly,
Chi Yan
No comments:
Post a Comment