Graduation is drawing nearer and nearer when the exam is coming closer and closer to the end..
True, partially I am ready to join the workforce because.. idk.. just want to see what the world has to offer I guess and that's it that's how a normal human life became mundane.
And guess what??
Our graduation trip is happening! :'D Je suis très heureux!
At first I thought I might have to do all the hardwork of planning and making it happen
Though I don't mind doing it but when some of the friends stood up and offered me help...
Haha I am just so happy and ever so grateful! ^^
Thanks gaizzz love you guys so much!
and I am EVEN happier when ALL (in my batch) has agreed to join us on this trip!
I mean.. it will never be complete without any one of them..
oh... and Appreciation dinner for our FYP is happening too!
Yes, that's good news. Sometimes, I just want a happy ending and a good closure to my uni life, which actually had been a huge part of my life because it has done a lot of changes to me.
Idk about everyone else but yeah, that's just what I want at this very moment:
A happy ending and a closure to my uni life so I can accept it and move on the next stage of life.
Talking about next stage of life.. you know, I often see posts on Facebook being shared nowadays. It's something that goes:
"People follow good bosses and not good jobs" (something like that?)
But something that I encountered recently made me think otherwise.
Both your job and your boss has to have balance, you have to love both
More importantly, I've found a new criteria that my "dream job" must have!
So here goes:
1. People follow good bosses and not good job.
Well, i think it's just a myth based on what I encountered recently. I just quitted by part time job recently (more like, last night) because I dislike how redundant the job was. I didn't had any progression for the past 6 months. Eventhough the people (and the boss) there are nice and friendly, but it just wasn't enough to make me want to stay any longer.
I took almost 2-3 weeks break from my part time job (sacrificing my financial support in the process) and found myself much more time during the weekends. I was fine to give that up if it makes me happier (I was working freelance anyway but just not earning as much) until the previous night when my supervisor sent me a message to remind me that I had to work the next day (yesterday, 28/4) and I still dreaded having to go to work even after the long break.
Long story short, even if you love (or maybe just generally liking it is ok too) the people there, as long as you don't love what you're gonna do, you're gonna somehow suffer eventually. I left (though not officially yet) on good terms but I am at the stage where I am begging to be "released" because I HATE that much.. yeah no turning back even if they offer what they intend to offer.
The fact I'm still here because I made a promise to help unti la certain date and I keep extending because I feel bad that they lack staff and if I leave, I'd tying their hands up. And I keep getting persuaded to stay longer (in a job I hate) but I gave up after yesterday, just couldn't endure it anymore!
2. Added criteria of "dream job"
It might be a bit shallow to compare it as such but I'm just going to go on ahead. Just FYI, I work part-time in a cafe now, and we have 3 main roles as the service crew:
a. Service (serve the coffee, food and clear tables)
b. Cashier (take orders)
c. Barista (makes the coffee)
I have been working here for 7 months and I was told that I would learn (c) after 4 months being there IF they think I am ok. It is possible that it is my inability that made them not teach me anything but what they do show otherwise. Idk, maybe they lied to get me as the desperate help they need but somehow I generally get good feedback and often asked to help out - esp on troublesome customers or busy days when there's private events. So, Idk.
But apparently, I was also told that because I won't be working there for long so they don't intend to teach me. (I didn't know 7 months was a short amount of time, wow). It doesn't make sense anyway because there are no guarantees that the new staff that they are teaching now are going to stay for long too. I guess they are just being bias, those whom they are closer to, they train rather than the others (like me - maybe has a small language barrier because my chinese sucks) who maybe does not have as much similar topic of conversation as others. But anyway, if that's the criteria they consider before teaching a person, then that's being bias.
I still don't see what's wrong with teaching someone else some extra skills. It's only going to help you rather than having you to do it all by myself. I often face situation where the Barista is working like a dog (excuse the language, but I mean, just being really busy) and I can be there just watching because I don't make coffee.
Haha, oh what am I saying.. I got carried away.. that's not the point..
The point is, I only made it to (b) and that was it. Never progressed to (c) even when I requested for it several times. And after my long break, someone who didn't work for 4 months is learning to be (c) and he can even manage station (c) without any senior barista around anddddddd he said he only learned that 2 weeks ago (right after I leave). That's funny.
And I realised that maybe I need a job (in future) that challenges me professionally and allow me to continue improving myself and giving space for growth and progress. Even if the job is redundant, it has to always have room for improvement even if it's already good enough.
For instance, comparing my previous part time job, even when I was constantly on stations such as the Griddle 2 (grilling chicken and eggs), you will never have enough practice to grill that egg (plus, I love it everytime someone praises the eggs that I cook are perfect). Eventually, I left because the manager at that time just wasn't good enough haha. But like right now, what... I'm gonna practice to walk faster or wipe the table faster or count the money faster? (I think I am fast enough already anyway *chuckles*)
So, job satisfaction + job progression is a MUST!
Good job + bad boss = maybe not...
Bad job + good boss = maybe not too...
Good job + good boss = DREAM JOB
I know, nothing is perfect and dream job is only just.. a dream..
but you gotta love what you do so that work just isn't work!
And if work is going to be a huge part for the rest of my life..
then I guess I should make it count...
Here's to wishing everyone I know (especially my uni-mates) to find their dream job and live life to it's fullest because C'est la vie!
Signing off,
Chi Yan
p/s: What is written about loving your boss and your job is purely my opinion and based on isolated experiences only, don't take it too seriously, you can agree or disagree but I'm just sharing! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment